After completing this pool technician certification course, you will be able to:
- Explain common problems with pool finishes and how to repair them
- Keep pools running more efficiently with a better understanding of circulation, filtration, hydraulics, and electricity
- Grow your practical knowledge and gain troubleshooting skills and resources
- Distinguish yourself as an experienced and knowledgeable service technician
Prerequisites to Apply
- 1–2 years of industry experience
- Successful completion of the Certified Service Technician® (CST) course or 24 hours of continuing education credit (for those candidates that practice in states that require the CST for licensing)
- Pass a 100-question, open book, multiple-choice exam
To become certified as a CST (Certified Service Technician®), you must complete the CST course and take the CST Exam. An additional registration form and $115 fee for the CST Exam is required. The CST Exam is 2.5 hours long, open book, with 100 multiple choice questions. You must score 75% or better to pass (answering at least 75 questions correctly).
Choose How to Take the Exam
- On a computer at a PSI computer testing center near you. Computer testing gives immediate test results and flexible time to take the exam.
- On a computer remotely proctored at your convenience. Remote proctored computer testing gives immediate test results and unparalleled flexibility to take the exam.
- At a PHTA national, regional, or chapter-sponsored testing event. A list of upcoming events can be found here. You will receive your exam results by US Mail approximately 3 weeks after the exam.
Please contact PHTA at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-838-0083 ext. 127 for additional information on the CST Exam and application process.
Online CST Course
This self-paced online course format is interactive and engaging with videos, quizzes, and exercises.
Purchase the CST Course
- Students who have started and need to finish the course, click here
- Students who have purchased the course but have not yet started it, click here.
Information for States Requiring Certification
Due to licensing requirements, some states do not require completion of the CST course, in which case a candidate must still be able to document completion of 24 hours of continuing education (CEU) and pass the CST exam.
The CST certification exam costs $115. Candidates must submit a completed application at least 14 days in advance of their testing date.
Test at a PHTA national, regional or chapter-sponsored education and testing event.
Test at an accredited community college or university in your area. You might need to pay an additional exam proctor fee, which could be up to $40. Contact your local community colleges and libraries to find your nearest proctored testing center.
Additional responsibilities if you test at a college or university:
- Scheduling an appointment for testing.
- Providing PHTA University with your name, mailing address, and exam date.
Course Materials and Forms
Maintain Your Certification
Learn more about maintaining your status as an PHTA-certified individual and continue to enjoy the associated benefits. Find the recertification application here.
From Our Members
“Our industry has changed so much over the last five or 10 years. If you're not constantly getting education, reading and learning more, you won't know the technology. If you want to be a professional, you have to have education.”
– Noel Conley, CSP, CST | Miracle Pool Service | Garland, TX