The Industry’s Highest Professional Award
What is a PHTA Fellow?
A PHTA Fellow is bestowed upon one prominent individual, each year, who has made distinguished contributions that raise professionalism in the aquatic community through teaching, research, and/or exemplary service to others. Nominees for the PHTA Fellow are also evaluated on their professional accomplishments and their commitment to the values honored by the Pool & Hot Tub Alliance and the Fellows before them.
Values of a Fellow
- Commitment to the pool, hot tub, and spa industry.
- Commitment to helping others learn and grow professionally.
- Commitment to the highest ethical standards.
- Commitment to improving the industry’s education initiatives through leadership in industry trade and professional organizations.
- Commitment to excellence in practice, research, and education.
- Commitment to achieving and maintaining a cohesive professional, collegial, and inclusive community.
There is no single criterion for selection as a PHTA Fellow. We recognize those who have made lifelong contributions, as well as trailblazers, innovators, and leading thinkers who have created a mark of distinction earlier in their careers. PHTA Fellows may be nominated from any segment of the industry (e.g., builders, service companies, retail, manufacturers and distributors, industry non-profit organizations, etc.).
Designation as a PHTA Fellow is an honor and may not be represented as an endorsement by PHTA of an individual’s technical competence. Fellows may be honored posthumously.
Nominee Criteria for a PHTA Fellow
- At least five years in the industry.
- A current PHTA member in good standing.
- A minimum of three years of volunteer service to the industry. (Two years must be in a role dealing specifically with professional development.)
- Professional PHTA Certification (recommended, not required).
Recently Named Fellows
2021: No award given
2020: No award given
2019 PHTA Fellows:
- George Kazdin, Kazdin Pools
- Angelo Pugliese, Custom Molded Products
2018 PHTA Fellows:
- Greg Garrett, Pool Chemistry Training Institute
- Jason Schallock, CBP, CSP, Andreson Poolworks
- Craig Sears, CBP, CSP, Sears Pool Management Consultants, Inc.
- Jatinder Sidhu, Coast Spas Manufacturing
- Rebecca Smith, Splash Pool Management Co.
2017 PHTA Fellows:
- Nathan Coelho, Master Spas
- Dick DalPino, CBP, Quality Pools by DalPino
- Mike McCague, Watkins Wellness
2016 PHTA Fellows:
- Frank J. Borrelle III (Posthumous)
- Dennis Chapman, Multicoat Products Inc.
- Ed Cohen, CBP, CSP, Ultimate in Pool Care/Chaikin Ultimate Pools
- Noel Conley, CSP, Miracle Pool Service Inc.
- Dr. William A. Kent, Team Horner Management
- Guy Larsen, CBP, CSP
- Dr. Stanley Pickens
- Shawn Still, Olympic Pool Plastering
- Gene Wells
- Donald H. Witte
2015 PHTA Fellows:
- Lew Akins, CBP, President & Owner of Ocean Quest Pools by Lew Akins
- Kyle Chaikin, CBP & CSP, President of Ultimate in Pool Care, Inc.
- Frank H. Goldstein, CBP & CSP, President of Chesapeake Aquatic Consultants, LLC
- Steven Gorlin, CBP & CSP, President/CEO/CCO of Gorlin Pools & Spas
- John Lochren, CEO of Solar Pool Enclosures of NY
- Jack Manilla, CBP & CSP, CEO/President/Owner of Portofino Pools
- John Migliaccio, CBP, CEO of The Pool & Spa Place
- Michael Miller, CSP, Owner of Miller Pools
- Jeff Mitchell, CBP, Owner/Founder of Pools by Dynasty
- Jerry Pasley, CEO of Bullfrog Spas
- John Romano, CBP & CSP, CEO of All American Custom Pools & Spas Inc.
2014 PHTA Fellows:
- Larry Biscornet CBP, CSP, LBI Pools & Spas
- Robert Blanda, CBP, CSP, Mill Bergen Pool Center
- Thom Blumenkamp, CBP, Texas Pools
- Connie Sue Centrella, Horner Xpress
- Bernice Crenshaw
- Randy Dukes, Speck Pumps-Pool Products, Inc.
- Vance Gillette, Zodiac Pool Systems, Inc.
- Dave Knoop (Posthumous)
- Chris Marcano, Natural Chemistry Inc.
- Ed Penfield, CSP, Aqua Island Technologies, Inc.
- Joseph Vassallo, CBP, Paragon Pools
- Paul Wahler, CSP
- Doug Winkler, Winkler Pool Management
2012-2013 PHTA Fellows:
- Jana Auringer, The Pool Lady
- Steve Barnes, Pentair Aquatic Systems
- Bob Baron, CBP, CSP, Baron Pool Service
- Carvin DiGiovanni, The Association of Pool & Spa Professionals
- Rick English, CBP, English Pool Consulting
- Al Inglin, Formerly with Aqua Pool Service & Spa
- Dan Johnson, CBP, Swim, Inc.
- Ron Lacher, CBP, Pool Engineering
- Mark Laven, Latham International
- Paulette Pitrak, Northeast Spa & Pool Association
- Albert Rizzo, CBP, CSP, Rizzo Pools
- Tom Seechuk, Formerly with LaMotte